Friday, November 18, 2005

Toenails, cellphones and rambles

More Mississippi Trivia

11. Guy Bush, of Tupelo, was one of the most valuable players with the Chicago Cubs. He was on the 1929 World Series team and Babe Ruth hit his last home run off a ball pitched by Bush.

12. During the 1930's one of Mississippi' s most famous pilots, a barnstormer by the name of Roscoe Turner, of Corinth, was proclaimed to be one if the best speed pilots in the U.S. But he was perhaps best known for flying with his animal mascot named Gilmore, an African lion cub. A world renowned aviator, Turner is featured in the National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian Institute and is the only three time winner of the Thompson Trophy Race. In Corinth, during August. visitors can enjoy the Annual Roscoe Turner Hot Air Balloon Races, which offer a weekend of fun, festivities, food and entertainment.

13. Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, of Civil War fame, was reared in Benton County and was pronounced by military historians and critics alike to be the foremost calvary officer ever produced in America.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Took Gumbo to PetSmart to get his toenails cut and have a bath, but they were full so I made an appointment for tomorrow. Which I won't keep. I am not an 'appointment' person. I hate them. I usually decide to do something and just go do it, instead of planning it out. I do keep doctor's, dentist and hairdresser's appointment, but even those are hard for me. The evening before and especially the morning of I think of all sorts of reasons why I shouldn't keep it. Actually, I rarely make an appointment for my hair. I usually just go as a walk-in. Anyway, I did manage to spend over $80 at PetSmart, on a new leash, food and toys. Then, when I was in the checkout line some doofus standing there holding a bag with a fish in it had the nerve to talk bad about Boston Terriers. I told him that he had obviously not spent the time to socialize his dog, and that Gumbo had never been a chewer. He, the doofus, gave me this superior, hippy smile and told me that he preferred fish to dogs. I told him that his fish won't keep his feet warm at night and can you imagine holding a fish while you cry over some movie? Will his fish snuggle up with him and try to make him feel better? I think not. Some people just don't get it.

While I was out I broke down and got a cell phone. I called Connie, Mike and Phil to give them the number, then hooked it to it's charger, and got irritated when it rang. (It was Mike telling me that she had taken Reese to the doctor and that he had some virus that is going around.) One reason I have waited so long in getting a cell phone is that........I hate phones. I sometimes will not answer the house phone. I only want to talk when I want to talk and resent it when someone calls me. I know I am odd. But, this is why only four people know my phone number. I used to have a message on my answering machine that basically told people that I was there but chose not to talk to them, but that I do check messages, so leave one and one day soon I would call them back. This is really good for the telemarketers. My kids knew to let the phone ring twice, hang up and call back. I would know then it was someone I wanted to hear from so I would answer it.

So, now I am the proud owner of a cell phone, but if anyone catches me shouting into it while I am in a restaurant or answering it in a theater or sitting next to anyone while, you have my permission to tell me that I am a hypocrite. And, lord help me if I talk and drive.

Mike called the other day to tell me that genetics is alive and well. Seems she was laying on the couch watching TV while Reese was playing. He came over and climbed up on the couch and slid down between her legs and the back of the couch to watch Elmo's World. A few minutes later she saw that he had fallen asleep. So, yet another generation has fallen to the Crook. The Crook is the shape your legs make when you are laying on your side. Mike wants to get a picture of me on the couch with Reese in the crook, since Mammaw is not here. She is the one who started it and all her grandchildren have slept in the Crook. Not to mention her children.

Leslie told her mother tonight that we will most likely not be there next week. Leslie wants to have her roof finished before she leaves. I do too. So, we will most likely not go till after Christmas. That's ok too. I am thinking of forcing Phil to go on a weekend ramble with me. If I do, I will try to go someplace interesting and take pictures. I would suggest the Nstchez Trace, but Phil might just mutiny. But, there are some places along the Trace over by Natchez and Vicksburg that we have not been to in several years. I think I will threaten Tupelo first, the concede to someplace closer. That way Phil will think he suggested the Trace.

1 comment:

Jo-Momma said...

LOL, that's the way to get 'em, reverse psychology. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know two year olds don't really fall for it all the time, though sometimes (ok I got a two year old that is nearly as bright as a 5 year old).
Was sure glad to run into a post I'd read. You went post crazy in the couple of days I was offline. I don't really have a desire to get online everyday, but if I don't this is what I return to. I'm going to put you on a 2 post a day, 2 paragraph limit. Nothing in your life can be more than that, lol.
God bless, Jo