Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Memories

Another painting my brother did.


I have been looking at my brother's paintings for three days now and that has brought back memories and regrets. I remember the silly things we did together as the two youngest in the family. How we tormented our brothers. And, scared my mother several times.

And, it has made me think more and more about my family in general. Not the bad times. The fun and odd times. For instance, my father told us that if we stood on our heads that would make our livers turn over and we would die. I wonder
now if he really believed that. I mean, my family was weird and my father came from a long line of weird people. Here's and example. One of his sisters had four children, two boys and two girls. When one of the boys received his draft notice he wrote to tell them that he was a JW and would not serve in the military. So, he was given an 'assignment' to work in a hospital for two years. The hospital was maybe fifty miles from where he lived, but his mother moved to that town with him. Said he needed her to take care of him. Another of my father's sisters had three children, two boys and a girl. One of her sons is a hardcore Jw. The other son is a studio musician and still lives with her. He thinks he needs to take care of her. That aunt pioneered after she retired.

My mother's family were not Jws, but had enough weirdness their own selves. My mother believed in omens and portents. She believed that if you are pregnant and raise your hand over your head, then you could strangle the baby. And, that you can mark a baby. When I was pregnant with my oldest son, the local movie theater held an all night horror marathon on Halloween. We went along with some of the people my mother worked with. This was after her first disfellowshipment. She about drove me crazy poking me in the side and telling me to cover my face, or I would mark the baby. I was sore by the time we gave up and went home to bed.

Some of the best times I had with my brother was when we sat around and 'remembered when'. Like the time a neighbor kid got a cap pistol for Christmas. We talked him into putting a firecracker in the gun barrel and lighting it. Peeled that barrel like a banana. I will never forget the look on that kid's face. (And,his name was Francis. Poor kid. What were his parents thinking!!!!) Or the time we both got mumps at the same time. We missed two weeks of school and it was so much fun.

There are so many many more things that I will eventually write here. But, not now. It is hard enough looking at his paintings. He was so good. And, he put so much of himself into each one.

Oh, if anyone is reading this blog who thinks it will be ok to 'take' one of the pictures of his paintings that I post, please don't. I would hate to take the time and trouble to stop you, but I will. Because, it will just be time and trouble, not expensive, because I have free legal help.


No comments: