Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina

Ok, so now we have Katrina coming at us. Today I went to get some supplies in case we do lose power. The roads were crowded, but the drivers, for the most part, were surprisingly nice.......especially for Baton Rouge folks. There were a couple of muscle trucks that try to intimidate their way into traffic, but most people were taking their time.

This courtesy stopped when I got to Wal-Mart. Tell me, anyone, please, why do some people park their carts on one side of the aisle and then walk to the other side of the aisle to look for something? Do they care that they are blocking the aisle? Apparently not. And, they also apparently do not know what 'excuse me, I need to get by' means. I finally stopped saying that and just pushed through. I got the same looks either way. But, I survived the shopping trip and made it back home.

My son and son-in-law were in Biloxi for their man weekend. It usually takes about two and a half hours to drive there. Or home from there. Tonight it took them six hours because of the contra-flow and the traffic and the slow speed. They knew it was going to take a long time to get home, but they wanted to be here for the storm.

My house sits about a mile from the Gulf in Gulfport. I have never had serious damage from any of the hurricanes. We always joke that we need a new roof or would like to remodel anyway......

Nothing much is happening. I am hoping the hurricane turns and goes in at a unpopulated area. I doubt this will happen though. We will just wait and see. Actually, the hurricane itself does not bother me. It is the days of no electricity and no A/C afterwards. Days of no hot meals. And, no ice.

No comments: