Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina part deux


Well, since I am in Louisiana I had to try some French....maybe I should look up some cajun words.

We have gotten in supplies. We now have water bottles stacked in a corner of the dining room. We have poptarts, cookies, spam, tuna, baby meals and of course the universal hurricane food, potted meat. I admit to being the only one here who will eat it, so I only got four cans. I used to say that potted meat is the poor man's pate' (sp). I grew up eating that with crackers on trips, out in service and of course after hurricanes. Potted meat and vienna sausages. I don't like viennas.....that is how you ask for them down here........viennas (said with a long I)....vIeennas. I was in my early twenties before I realized the right way to pronounce that. Now I cringe to think of the many times I asked for it the wrong way and how people must have thought I was totally a redneck. Oh well.

We are waiting on Katrina now. I am afraid that New Orleans has not missed this bullett and the rest of the coast and even inland counties are going to see some major damage. I was joking around with my daughter earlier and said that I was going to start designing my new house. The one I will build when Katrina blows this one away. We were laughing and talking about it, when I got a sick feeling in my stomach. There is going to be so much damage and destruction that I don't feel right joking about it.

Pray for the people in Katrina's path.



No comments: