Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Trains

Well, I made it to Chicago an hour late, which was ok, since that would make the layover wait shorter. I walked into the Metropolitan Lounge and got comfortable for what was supposed to be a two-hour wait. About ten minutes later there was an announcement for anyone on train 59 who had not gotten their dinner money to come to the desk. Seems train 59 was late getting to Chicago. It was expected to get in at 8pm, the time it was originally supposed to leave for New Orleans. Then, it would have to be cleaned, so there would not be time to cook and serve dinner. We finally left about 12:30 am. People were nice about it. No one got all upset or yelled at anyone.

I got settled in my sleeper and watched the lights of Chicago as we left, then went to sleep. The next morning we were clipping along when we suddenly made a hard stop. A few minutes later a man and a woman came walking down past the train looking at it. Then the woman pointed at the car I was in and said something. A few minutes later two men came up and pulled a mangled bumper from underneath the train. I know this is going to sound terrible, but a twisted piece of plastic just does not have the same horrific image as a twisted piece of metal. We were told the young man who tried to beat the train was seriously injured, but was alive.

I do love traveling by train. Walking from car to car without stumbling and using the toilet while rocking down the track does take some getting used to. Yesterday, I decided to take advantage of the shower since we were going to be getting in so late. That itself is an adventure. First, I had to get undressed while keeping my balance, then I had to hold on with one and while I soaped up with the other, as I kept having to hit the knob to restart the water. It was worth it though.


The toilets have lights on them that will light up if the door is locked. I knock anyway, cause you just never know. Yesterday, I went to the toilet, saw the light was out, knocked and waited, then opened the door on a old guy. I apologized and went back to my sleeper. About ten minutes later I went back, knocked and waited, then opened the door on the same little old man. I almost told him that we needed to be on a first name basis by then.

Thank goodness for Audible. If you like audiobooks, then I recommend this site. I have been preparing for my trip home for several weeks by downloading then burning books on CDs. This saves my sanity on long trips, whether I am driving or on the train.

Michael Jackson was found innocent. So, I suppose it is ok for 45 year old men to sleep in the same bed with children who are not his. Or, is it just ok if you are a celebrity?

No comments: