Sunday, June 05, 2005

Power of Forgiveness

I personally believe that I need to forgive whoever has offended me, for MY peace.

My mother and I did not have a good relationship. My sisters-in-law were never on good terms with her either. It got to be that whenever we were together one of us would drag out the list of 'things mammaw has done' and hash it over and add to it. I finally grew up. I prayed and what kept coming into my mind was 'forgive her'. Finally, I called her and told her that I wanted her forgiveness and that I forgave her everything. I told her that she did not have to own up to anything, but just know that I forgave her.

Then, a funny thing happened. I started FORGETTING things she had done. When I was with my sisters-in-law, and they would start and say...'you remember that'...I honestly had forgotten it. I would remember it when they brought it up, but it did not affect me the way it had before. I was able to take care of my mother without getting upset with her. So, waiting for someone to apologize to you before you forgive them is ok in some situations I suppose. But, I have learned, or have been shown, that forgiveness heals ME.

No comments: