Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Trips and trains and........

I am just as appalled at the attacks on the UK as most of the civilized world. These sorts of attacks have been going on since at least the early 70s. Remember the Olympics? The only difference is that the attacks are increasing in number and severity. Now, instead of just hijacking a cruise ship and throwing one old man in a wheelchair overboard, they are going for mass destruction. Apparently they are using cell phones to detonate bombs or at least coordinate the detonations.

A couple of years ago, my youngest daughter and I went by train from New Orleans to Michigan. The last part of the trip, from Chicago to Ann Arbor, is by coach. The coach we were on was full and it seemed and third person not only had a cell phone, but wanted the world to know it. There was a man and woman sitting across from us who started calling people almost as soon as they sat down. About thirty minutes into the trip I saw a middle eastern looking man take out his phone. I made a silly comment to my daughter….something like, ‘I wonder if he is calling to tell his buds that the time is right’….Then, I forgot about him. Shortly, after that, this man started walking up and down the aisle, which a lot of people do, dialing a number, saying hello, then hanging up and trying it again. I said something to someone about his phone either not working or being out of coverage area, etc. Then, he came back to the man sitting across from me and asked if his phone was working, which was a dumb question because the man had just hung up from probably his tenth call. The middle eastern man said he was having trouble getting through and he needed to make this important call. He asked the other guy if he could use his phone to make the call because if was an extremely important call. He was refused, and went back to his seat. Now, this was probably nothing more than that the man needed to call his mama or something, but, with all that is happening in the world, who knows?

I still will travel and I still will go by trains…….as long as they don’t go bankrupt…..because I refuse to let anyone scare me into changing how I act or what I do.

And, talking about traveling, one of these days I will stop saying that NOTHING will stop or prevent this next trip. All of my plans have fallen through for this summer. I am going back to my old ways, just wake up, throw some clothes and Gumbo in the car and head out. Those are usually the best trips anyway, cause I am not bound by any time frame other than mine.
Gumbo the magnificant.


One day I may do a meetup trip and go visit each person I know from the internet….my friends at least……..just stop, say hey and head out for the next one. I have met one person face to face, that I had first met online. She is an awesome lady who has a support group for exJw and exMormons. She is a hoot. And, she is the type of person who if she thinks it, she says it. She is not a gamer. But, come to think of it, none of the people I count as online buds are gamers. They are the same 24/7 and I respect them for that.

No comments: