Thursday, July 14, 2005

Scarlet letter anyone???

I have read some of the blog that the pedophile who killed the people in Idaho and took the children wrote. I don't know why I did. It made me sick. He spends so much time blaming others for what he himself did. He also says he was molested as a child, which brings me to my question........Are pedophiles born or made? I know that all people who were molested as children do not molest children when they are adults, or a teenager the way this guy did. What is different between the person who goes on to molest and the ones who don't?

I believe my father molested my second oldest brother, and often. My brother molested his own children, his oldest son and at least one of his daughters. His oldest son is in prison now. When he was sixteen he raped a girl. I don't think he knew or still knows the difference between consensual sex and rape. In his world 'no' did not mean no. While he was out on bond he tried to kill my mother. His father hid him for several days. My brother felt that what his son did was wrong, but not wrong enough for any consequences.This brother died in 1989. His son was allowed to come to the service. That is the last time I saw my nephew.

I have been told that my father started drinking when he was thirteen or fourteen. He went to spend some time with his uncle.....his father's brother. His father had had a falling out with his brother and so did visit. But, my grandfather did not mind his children seeing him. Family rumor has it that the falling out happened when my grandfather found out his brother fancied men more than women. No one knows for sure what happened during that visit. But, my father was an alcoholic from then on.(Let me stop here and say that I am not saying that I think that just because someone is gay that they will molest a child.)So, we have my father the only son, with everything that entails......future of his father's name, etc.....he spends time with a possibly gay uncle and comes home an alcoholic in the making. Did my father realize the he also preferred men? Was he molested and felt guilty. Or, was he molested but enjoyed it and did not understand his feelings. He could have started drinking to stop the feelings of both guilt and pleasure. Add being a Jw to this. As a JW he would have been trying to work that sin off.I would almost be surprised if he had NOT become an alcoholic.I believe that my father experienced some sort of sexual trauma as a young teen. He went on to molest at least two of his children.

I know that there is a spirit of fear and also of secretiveness among the Jws. I believe it was worse when my father was young. They literally went to bed most nights wondering if that was going to be the end. My father was born in 1914 (we {the family} used to joke that he was mean because that was when Satan was cast to earth) and grew up as a JW whle Rutherford was president of the org.

I have few memories of my father that he was not drunk. Most of the time he was too drunk to stand. I remember that he went as long as six months once without drinking. My parents divorced when I was eight. My father moved away shortly after that and I did not see him again until I was sixteen. The cheap wine was destroying his mind by then. I remember feeling sorry for him. For the way he was living. He was a neat man and kept his space clean and neat even when he was living in rooming houses. Funny though...I seem to have more memories of the different rooms he lived in than him.He kept drinking and his health worsened. His mind left him first. He died December 31, 1974.

Well, I certainly went off topic a bit. But, the question is still there. Why do people sexually assault children? Why do some who were molested as a child go on to molest children? And, why do some..most?....people who were molested as children, never molest at all? If there is a way to discover who will molest and who won't, what should be done with the potential molestors? Castration? Chemical or surgical. I cannot think of anything to stop them. I do believe that a child molestor should get ONE chance, then he/she spends the rest of her life away from children. I have seen studies that show that a child molestor cannot be healed. They always want to molest and are attracted to children.

I am also so tired of sex offenders being released to molest and murder again. We, as parents, and just plain decent people should lobby for stronger laws. When a person is convicted of molestation, the world should know about it, even if it embarrasses or 'marks' the person for life. Maybe a tatoo somewhere conspicious on his/her body saying something like...'I want to have sex with young children'.....or.....'I had sex with small children'...I know liberals will say that it is so horrible to brand someone like this, but, so? Maybe we should bring back the scarlet letter. There you go. A big red S branded right between the person's eyes.

No comments: