Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Space, life and.......


I am reading a great book......well, I am listening to it. I have it on cd an listen to it each time that I drive for any distance. The title of it is 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'. I cannot remember the author just now and am too lazy to get up and go look. I will get it for you later.

Anyway, the author is a travel writer who was coming back from a trip somewhere in the Pacific. On his flight home, he was looking out the window and realized that he knew next to nothing about this planet and the universe. He set out to change that and the result was this book.
I won't give a book report here, I just wanted to talk about one thing that he said that has kept me thinking for the past few weeks. It is about the beginning of the universe. The Big Bang.......which by the way, a scientist coined as a derisive name for what Christians believe happened.

See, before anything was created, a space had to be created for it. The nothingness we think about is wrong. There was no THERE there, for something to begin in. I have always thought of a huge black void that was suddenly filled with light and everything else. But, there was not even a void, much less a huge black one. Kinda hard to get my mind around that. And, everything has to be just right for the universe and all life in it to continue. A millimeter off either way and what we know would not be. How can this be an accidentally random meeting of some elements? Remember, there was nothing there to bump into each other.

How can anyone not see the hand of God in creation?

1 comment:

Jo-Momma said...

Yeah, that's what always got me growing up in public school being taught all the junk about evolution. How can something bang if there's nothingness? Good point about everything just being exactly where it must be to not be too hot or too cold for life. How could a big bang keep the planets rotating around the sun like they do? Wouldn't they just keep going and going and going like the energizer bunny? Love your thoughtful and considerate post, lol.
God bless, Jo