Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Rocks, fossils and ghosts......

I have been feeling depressed lately. I have not done any of the things I had planned for the summer and then Katrina happened and my daughter had to hurry and move......well, things have been hectic. I was at a point where I could not see that I would be doing anything other than fighting with the insurance adjuster (who, FINALLY called today to set up an appointment), filling out forms and such. Then today I met the man who lives next to my friend Leslie's house.

Leslie was out working in her yard and I was inside with a severe case of the po-pitifuls. I heard her shut the lawnmower off and then several minutes later she came in to tell me that her neighbor has been collecting rocks and fossils for twenty some-odd years. Leslie told him that I was a rock hound too and he invited me over to look at his collection. It was totally amazing! He has one room devoted to his rock/fossils. He had bookshelves built so he can display them easily. I have never seen such a large a diverse selection in a private person's collection. I could have stayed there talking with him and looking at his collection for hours. But, he had to go get his new glasses so I left with an invitation to come look at them anytime and, to bring whoever I wanted to. I will take my older grandsons when they come here.

He has his collection catalogued and each specimen was sitting on top of a 3x5 index card with the latin name, age, and location where he found it. He told me that Wolf River is a great place to go rock/fossil hunting. Wolf River is about 10 miles from my house. I am going to rent a boat, or borrow one, and go down the river and see what I find. And, he told me that there are a lot of fossilized clam shells up around Tupelo. Tupelo is where my family is from and I go there often. Well, mostly I go through it on the Natchez Trace (which is another thing I like to do....drive the Trace) I am so excited. Only thing is, all my geology books are up in Michigan at my older daughter's house. I am ordering a new one tomorrow though. Then, I am go on a hunting expedition. I will take my camera and will post pictures of anything I find.

Speaking of the Natchez Trace. If anyone is close enough to drive it, and you haven't yet, well, why haven't you??? It is such a serene drive. And, if you are there near sundown, stop and walk a ways down the old Trace. People walked and rode that for hundreds of years. If you are quiet and listen carefully, you can almost hear those people walking by you. And, if you close your eyes, you might even feel them brush against you as they pass. There is an old church and graveyard between Vicksburg and Natchez that will spook you. Well, it did me and my kids. Have I mentioned that I like graveyards? The older ones. Anyway, one weekend when my older kids were young, we packed a picnic lunch and headed for the Trace. This was when we lived in Jackson. We pulled over at a picnic area that is next to the church. After we ate, we decided to check it out. There are signs telling you about the town that used to be there and then you walk through some trees and there is the church. Spooky. My older daughter and I went into the church. Inside was dark and we stood there letting our eyes get used to the change from bright sunlight to dark whenwe heard a scratching sound. Connie looked at me and we walked closer to each other. Neither of us could see what had made the noise and it stopped, so we started walking toward the front of the church. Then, before we could react further we heard a huffing sound. That was did it, we were leaving. As we turned around, Connie felt something on her leg and let out a squeak. I think she was too scared to do anything else. Just then, Michael, my youngest daughter opened to door. Standing between us and the door was an old female hound, wagging her tail. So, no ghosts for us. Course, we still left the church and went out to look at the graveyard.

Isn't this an awesome picture? I love walking down the Old Trace. Imagine the people who walked it. All the native Americans. And, Daniel Boone...just to name one well-known person. Merriwether Lewis was either killed, commited suicide or had a fatal accident at a way-station on the Trace. There is a monument to him there. There are several Indian Mounds along the Trace. I do wish you were allowed to look for arrowheads and fossils and other old things there. But, like most National Parks, you can't. There is a settlement called Frenchman's Creek that has been restored there. It is so neat. I am serious people, if you get a chance, drive the Trace. You will love it too.

No comments: