Thursday, September 15, 2005

Katrina, and more

It seems that bad things are just going to keep happening to us....my family. Tonight my youngest son-in-law took a friend of his from work out for supper. He called my daughter and told her that his friend was upset and needed to talk. When he came in, he told us that his friend is being laid-off........or as the British say, he is being made redundant. Then, my son-in-law told us that he also might be losing his position. The New Orleans branch of the law firm he works for is of course closed. All the partners and senior associates from that office are now at the Baton Rouge office. This means that quite a few of the Baton Rouge associates will be losing their positions. This comes just after the owner of the townhouse they rent told them they have to be out by the 2nd of October. They were upset at first, but then a partner at my son-in-law's firm told them about a house for sale that they can afford. Now of course, everything is all up in the air. They do not want to buy here if Jamie has no job. Mike has been wanting to move home (Mississippi) and maybe now they will do that. I believe that Jamie can get a position there and work as a legal assistant until he takes the Mississippi Bar in February. Still, this is stressful.

I talked to one of my brothers this morning. He went to my niece's son's funeral yesterday. I was not able to get there, but I did talk with my niece. I am going to try to call tomorrow. My brother, Joe, told me that my oldest brother's (James) house got four feet of water and roof damage. His bakery also was damaged and he may not re-open it. Of course, stubborn James stayed at home instead of leaving for Katrina. His wife (Shirley) said that they sat on the stairs and watched the water rising. She and my brother took turns going downstairs to rescue things. I have no idea what they were able to salvage. They have been staying with my niece, but I do not think they were there when he son killed himself. I am waiting on State Farm to come look at my house. I have been told that it might be as long as three weeks before they get to me. I will be leaving the weekend after next to go to Michigan for the winter and I wanted this all to be resolved before I left. But, Phil is there and can talk to them for me. I have not applied to FEMA, but I am being told that I should. I may.

All this reaffirms my belief that God is in control. I am not sure if I could get through all this if I did not believe this with all my being.

May you all be blessed with God's peace and mercy.

2 comments:

Jo-Momma said...

Tica, It just seems to go from bad to worse. Wow, I will be praying for all of your family, doesn't seem there's a single one that isn't facing trials. As you would say, Bless your heart!

God bless, Jo

Claudia Barlow said...

Hi,

Just want to see if this works. I read about your grandson, and I know you are proud of that.


God bless you and your family.