Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Grinches abound

The PC Grinches have been working overtime the past few years to rid the world of a horrible, nasty and racist expression that has been in use in the United States (if not the world) for hundreds of years. The phrase? Merry Christmas. They are watching and keeping their lists and checking them twice.....(ok, ok) They want us to say Happy Holidays instead. They want people to stop saying "Merry Christmas" or putting a sign in a shop window with "Merry Christmas" on it. And, of course, they want to stop schools from having "Christmas" anything.

Let's take this a step further. What about the Christmas songs?

" White Christmas" would be....

I'm dreaming of a white Holiday
With every Holiday card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all you Holidays be bright

Or....

"We wish you a Happy Holiday"

And, how's this?

"Have yourself a happy little holiday
Let your heart be light
From now on,
Our troubles will be out of sight"

Or....

"rocking around the holiday tree"..

Or..

The Twelve Days of Holiday????

Or..

"Silver Bells" 'there's a feeling of HOLIDAY in the air'?

Or...

"O' HOLIDAY Tree"?

What about Feliz Navidad? Which means Merry Christmas in Spanish, will we have to just trash that song?

And, what about 'yuletide'? Or 'yule'? Will we have to throw out "The Christmas Song'? I mean, we can change it to 'The Holiday Song', but what about the lyrics...'yuletide carols being sung by a choir'? Yuletide means Christmas Season. If we cannot make that fit the new Happy Holidays theme, will we have to just stop singing it?

And, for goodness sake, what will we do with 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'? Singing, 'Grandma got run over by a reindeer, walking home from our house Holiday Eve', just does not sound right.

And, 'then one foggy HOLIDAY eve, Santa came to say'.....please people, get some sense.

There are so many songs and traditions that will have to be changed or stopped completely, if the PC grinches continue. I have never been offended by seeing Hanukkah candles or seeing Hanukkah greeting cards. Nor, has it ever bothered me when Muslim oo-workers celebrated or observed Rahmadan. Why is it just Christmas that is being targeted by the PC grinches?

Come on, get real and take on the real issues. Like starving children all over the world, even here in the US. If you want to make a difference in someone's life, buy clothes and food for a family. Is it that you don't actually want to make a difference? Is it that you want your name on the news and maybe a hundred years from now, someone might come across it doing a history report? I hope the report is about the 100 Fools of the 2005. And, I hope that YOUR name will be right on there on top.

4 comments:

Jo-Momma said...

Yeah, I actually signed a petition on that (a couple even I think) and I guess Lowe's is starting to change their tune along with Wal*mart and others. I think I got them from some site my mom sent me. I wasn't sure how to copy and paste the whole thing using hotmail, so I didn't send it on. I know most people don't like getting fwds and I don't like sending them. BTW, if you get a chance this week stop by and vote for my daughter at http://www.babiesonline.com/babycontest/vote.asp
I know you know her first name, so she should be the only one on the list from 8th to 14th with that name.
God bless, Jo

Tis' Me said...

Jo, I can't find your daughter's pic. That link did not work.

Jo-Momma said...

if you look it's ira...when I went to vote it was way down the page, then it was the 2nd pic on the page that it's listed under.
God bless, Jo

Jo-Momma said...

talk about the grinch....in my old hometown someone stole Christmas decorations off a person's porch/front yard. How aweful is that?
God bless, Jo